FLIGHT 1-23-39

Major Robert Rushworth

Rushworth: I thought the flight was real good, but I would like to go back to the -- somewhere in the check list and talk about the problem we had in the other flight. .When I got the APUs on initially, before I reset the generator, the B-52 wasn't in any turbulence. Right after I reset the generators, the APU hydraulic pressure started fluctuating again. It was the same thing as we had before. This came on after the generators were reset. Visual checks from both sides, chase and B-52 indicated nothing going on until Allavie started pushing the airplane (B-52) and those were pretty good pulses. It brought the hydraulic pressure down to about 700 pounds. Other than that, everything went. alright all the way through the check list. Now, what the generators are doing to the hydraulic system, I haven't the faintest idea, but that is when it started, and it matched the condition that we had last Friday, except no control motions.

Down through to launch, I got a couple of seconds behind at launch, got to looking around the instrument panel and I can imagine my call was 3-2-1 launch, and I guess two or three seconds delay before I reached for the throttle because I was real interested in seeing what the attitude of the airplane was when I came out. And even though I held an inch to an inch-and-a half displacement on the stick, I still rolled off, I guess about 5° right roll, but it righted itself immediately after I broke away from the B-52.

The engine lit quicker than I expected it to. I expected a few seconds delay, and the minute I brought the throttle in at 75%, we were going. About 10 seconds later, back to 50% and I got onto the profile five or 10 seconds before I was supposed to pushover; and I got the impression, not from outside reference or from the attitude gyro. I was getting into a steeper climb than I had expected, so I started pushing over early. I held the speed brakes until ground control called them. out. This pushover took me approximately to O g and right into 80,000 feet. This .matched the profile real well. On the pushover I began. to see smoke coming up from my right foot, and it really didn't look like smoke but more like vapor. I really don't know what it was and during the climb just previous to this, at about 40 seconds, I took a last look at cabin altitude and it was still reading 35,000.

I came level and got into the sideslip. I didn't get a full deflection sideslip because I rolled up into a 20 or 30° bank angle, and I had the stick up against my leg. Evidently the suit had blown up a little bit there and the stick was against my leg, and I could feel that, so I stopped and held a steady-state position and then released it and everything at that point looked exactly like the simulator.

During the pushover -- let me go back a little bit -- at zero g, the directional damping was a fairly poor and the airplane had a long period, and I guess some ±2° of sideslip which was just about what we had looked at on the simulator; and I thought that matched real well and I kept on going in the sideslip, and it matched real well, and I don't recall shutting the damper off. As I recall, the damper was off later on in the flight, so I must have. I pulled it up to 11°, and going through 11° I started to get a little mild buffet, so I stopped there and got the rudder pulse. I took a look at the speed. I was indicating about 3,400 ft/sec. A little higher than what was called for. I think I got a call from the ground at that time that I was beginning to go downhill just previous to this, and he said that I was going back up again. I came down to an estimated 6° and started a few more pulses, and I indicated between 3,900 and 4,000, just short of 4,000 ft/sec, when I shut down. I shut down on Pete's call because the clock wasn't running, and I couldn't find the other clock either at that time. I was going to shut down at 4 minutes total on the other clock.

Between 4,000 and 2,300 or 2,400, where he called speed brakes in, I got several pulses, but they were at lower angle of attack than what I was aiming for. I was aiming for 10° and it was down around 6° when I got these pulses, with dampers off. Speed brakes in, indicating at least 2,400. It may have been a little higher. Got the speed brakes in and I was already home. I didn't see the necessity for holding altitude anymore until I got down to about 40,000 feet. The inertial altimeter worked real well down to 50,000 feet where I changed over to the other one. When I changed over I was reading 2,000 ft/sec on inertial and about 1.8 on the Mach number. I got over on the sidestick for a little work between 1.5 and the pushover-pullup and I remember that I think I transferred back to center stick for the pushover-pullup. From. there on down, I was reading on my standard altimeter a lower level than what ground called out all the way, and at launch I was better than 1,500 feet below the B-52 on standard altimeter. When White called out 10,000 feet, I was going through 9,400. I thought. I was a little bit higher and a little bit faster than what I had planned. I used speed brakes all the way down. shooting for the 2-mile marker, I guess I missed it by 1,000 feet, overshot it by that much. The touchdown speed was real smooth. I could feel the skids for as much as a second before the nose slammed to the ground and I had a chance to start the stick back for full deflection when I got the nose coming down. I didn't have much control over the thing after l got on the ground. I tried to keep it on the runway but I couldn't do it. And then l got slowed down too much. The rudder wasn't helping too much.

Question: Did you know that you started down after you got level at 80,000 feet?

Rushworth: I was aware of it, but when Pete called out that I was going down hill I was just below 80,000 feet and then I pulled up for the pulse and I know that would bring me back on up and he called and verified it. As far as starting down after that, I was ready to start down because the field was right there. I was home early. I think when I came across the base I was still at 40, 000 feet.

Question: You were going down hill before you shut down?

Rushworth: Yes, I could have been. Oh, one thing that I should have mentioned; (on climbout) I got to fighting the problem of holding my head up against the head bumper and suddenly gave up on that and just let the engine carry me. I don't know what happened to the head bumper at the point, for when I shut down the engine I don't recall running against it. I think it must have slipped up a little bit. I didn't hit the head bumper when I shut down and it didn't bother me that it wasn't there. I got tired of holding my head up, and just relaxed and went back against the seat.

Question: Did you use about an inch and 1/2 stick displacement at launch?

Rushworth: I moved it over at least an inch and I was aiming for an inch and a half.

Question: Did the ADF work, Bob?

Rushworth: The last time I remember looking at it, it was still swinging. That went all the way out to at least five minutes before launch. I don't think it ever did work.

Question: Head rest position.

Rushworth: Yeh, I could stand it more forward.

Question: (?)

Rushworth: I hit 80,000 right on the money. I never did get to check the rate-of-climb indicator. When Pete was calling out times for airspeed, the first one I had got a good check on was 90 some seconds. Everything was good at the 40-second point and then I didn't get to check it again until -- I should have been at 3,000 ft/sec or 3,200 and I was up to 3,400 again. The timer didn't, move. If it did it was at zero again when I looked at it.

Question: Attitude indication?

Rushworth: The ball nose worked real good all the way this time. The meter indicated off until I got hydraulic pressure and then it came in. I got a real good test on it and it held steady all the way, as it should have.

Question: Hydraulic fluctuations before launch?

Rushworth: No, I checked that again just before launch, and it was really steady. It was down somewhere around 3-2 minutes, and then we -- I think it was really good on hydraulic pressure.

One other thing -- somewhere after burnout, I got a noticeable bang in the airplane. It wasn't heavy but I could feel it. I checked everything through and everything seemed normal and then when I went to jettison, for no reason at all, just before I went to jettison, somewhere between Mach 2 and 1.5, I could feel sloshing of fuel somewhere or motion that made me think of sloshing of fuel and lt reminded me that I had to jettison. And when I went to jettison, I started getting yaw oscillations at the same time. Whether it was from that I don't know.